Sunday, March 8, 2015

Day 61! What?!

It's still weird to think how incredibly far away I am from all my loved ones. It never hits me until I actually see a map and think, "Wow, if I want to go home I would have a lot of swimming to do."  Thankfully, I am starting to really enjoy my life here and I'm even getting a little nervous that the next 111 days won't be enough time! However, at the same time I look back and realize how much I've learned, how much I've grown and how many new things I've done! Just this past week I tried mussels! I have never eaten so much seafood in my whole life as I have in these past two months. All the fish and different things from the sea that I've eaten, I usually like the taste. It's just the texture that I can't seem to enjoy. I'm sure when I come back to Colorado I will be begging my mom to cook me up some mussels though. Another thing about food, I've decided I'm going to ship all my clothes back in boxes and just fill my suitcase, carry on, and backpack with all my new favorite foods and snacks... not sure if even that will be enough room. Sorry mom, but when I come back you will have to help me control my sweet tooth. I'm pretty sure gaining a little extra on the sides is just something that comes along with studying abroad in France. I don't know any exchange kids that didn't gain a few pounds their first few months here. For all I know this could be my first and last time eating all this delicious food so I'm going to shamelessly enjoy it for at least a little while! I'm still jogging about twice a week and swimming for a two hour P.E. class on Fridays (which is something I will bring back and do when I return because I really enjoy it!) and then doing exercises in my room almost everyday. So I'm still taking care of myself, don't worry parents. Eliza (my Australian friend) and me have decided that on our half way mark in France is when we will actually start making an effort to eat more healthy and we will keep each other accountable for working out and getting healthy food at lunch. Until then I will enjoy my baguettes. Yesterday Eliza and me walked in the city for about 4 hours and got hamburgers and candy from our favorite candy shop named Magic Pills. It seriously has the coolest candy. I think I will fill my backpack with that next June. Anyways, we walked around and got lost (of course) and found this really awesome market that was very crowded with every kind of fresh food you could ask for! We also stumbled upon this park with a bird house and tons of flowers and fountains. Everytime I go walking in the city I become even more enchanted. I will post pictures to my shutterfly today so you all can see what I'm talking about. Not only was it one of the best city adventures I've had thus far, it was also the warmest and sunniest day I've had living here! I was very happy to be able to leave the house without having to wear a heavy jacket or my raincoat. Even though I love the city and taking the twenty minute bus ride, it still is expensive to eat out and buy snacks and little things here and there. Advice to anyone reading this who is thinking of doing an exchange: You shouldn't have to stress a crazy amount about money and the best way to do this is to become organized. I need to get better about that but I do have an allowance that I try my best to stick to and I've found the best way to stick to it is to make a shopping list and not stray from it, and put in account for eating out and school stuff and extra expenses which, for me, march has been bringing a lot of. I'm really excited for this month because I have so much going on and I'm going out with my friends more which is such a blessing! I just need to not have a shopping spree every time I step into a mall. Which only happened once, calm down, Dad. :)
Random updates: I talked to my counselor and we picked out my classes for next year, even though it's going to be a lot, I couldn't be more excited for my senior year! My family is great! I've been getting closer with my host parents and are more open to them. Also, I weirdly miss doing my own laundry, here I put my laundry down a shoot (which is really cool, I have to say) but I could get it back in one or even five days. I miss knowing I'll have my socks back that night. I don't miss doing my own laundry nearly as much as I miss my friends and family. It's hard not having them here but I'm also glad I'm proving to myself that I am my own person that doesn't need any others to prove that I can happy in my own skin. I think for the first time in my life I'm fairly happy with my mind. I have a theory that you need to eat two kinds of food. Food to make your body happy (i.e. fruits and veggies) and food to make your mind and soul happy (i.e. sugar, carbs and everything nice). I have been eating enough of both and I'm giving my theory credit to my at least a little part of my newfound happiness.
I don't have much on the schedule for this next coming week, but after I get through this week I have a lot planned! I know my life here is getting more exciting because of how sore my feet and mind are by the end of the day. I should probably get some better walking shoes and more advil!

No comments:

Post a Comment